Friday

Yoga, ballet.... runner?

I signed up for a 5K! I'm super excited. It's called the "Strawberry Hill 5K" and will be held in Golden Gate park in SF in about 6 weeks! I've been playing around with the idea of running a race but I couldn't bring myself to sign up for any because of all my doubts. Well, it's time to conquer my fear and try something new. Plus, my meds are making me gain weight despite working out 4+ hours a week and eating around 1500 cals a day. (boo.) So I figured if I added running, maybe I could slow the weight gain a little.

MMMM- I am completely addicted to this breakfast:

I actually started eating it before I could remember to take a picture! I just get really excited when it comes out of the toaster. It is a piece of Milton's whole grain plus bread with 1 T chunky, unsalted, unsweetened PB and a cup of unsweetened almond milk (!!!). I just tried almond milk for the first time last week and I am completely hooked! Unlike soy milk that took me a while to learn to like, I instantly liked almond milk. Plus, the flavor of the almond milk perfectly compliments the toast/PB. YUM. Best. Breakfast. Ever.

Then I went for my first practice 5K run.

TADA! I read a bunch of articles on how to train for a race and I think the way I'm going to approach it is to map out the distance (luckily we have really nice canals running through the area with trails along side them) and then I jogged/walked to kinda get a sense of my starting fitness and time. Over the next few weeks I'll run it 3-4 times a week and reduce the ratio of walking to running and improve my time. I haven't ran more then a mile in almost 7 years. So today is the start of a new era. One in which I run regularly. : )

I did the whole thing in 47 mins. : ( Ok, not what I had hoped for, but I didn't want to push too hard and get hurt the first time. My goal is to improve my time by 7 mins in the next 6 weeks and finish the race in less than 40 mins. There was another first today- my first blister! Maybe I need new shoes? I have some expensive running socks that I used today so I'm not sure if if that's the problem. I'll have to google and try new things to prevent further foot pain.

After my run, I stretched and took a quick shower and about halfway into my shower I was hit with the hungry monster! I'm not even kidding! I was so hungry I practically ate my arm off! So I toweled off and quickly threw these together for a snack:

I didn't even sit down to eat them! Just stood in the kitchen with dripping wet hair. : ) Each wrap is made of a whole wheat tortilla, 1 T hummus, 1/2 oz goat cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, onions, cucumber and a couple slices of deli turkey. They are pretty easy for me to make because I keep lettuce, onion and cucumber pre-chopped in the fridge. Each one of these wraps work out to about 100 cals because I use "carb smart" tortillas. They are low in calories and high in fiber- each tortilla has 50 cals and 7 g of fiber. Then I was still hungry so I had a meatless corndog (about 160 cals).

I made a cup of tea to carry around with me while I run around doing some errands, cleaning the house and making diner before yoga tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I just signed up for a 5k this saturday, and have 6 days to get into shape, lol. I actually did the 3.1 miles on the treadmill, walking/jogging in 43.47 minutes i felt like jello.. slow jello. How did your 5k go?

    ReplyDelete